Thursday, November 11, 2010

Mindmap to Moodboard- Architecture







































































































Nostalgia being by initial theme, I started out with a mindmap on the same to have a clearer picture in my head. I started out with the basic definition of the word and later made connections to that word. Trying to further refine my idea, I began to question the basic physiology of a memory. I realized that a memory contains various levels of embedded data. In reminiscence, our minds recall this data and connect it with information such as sound, color, smell and taste, to name a few, enabling us to “feel” the subtle nuance of that memory.
I listed out things associated with nostalgia. Reminded of old clothes and photographs, I mused over the comparison between the past and the present and how it makes one aware of changes that have taken place over the years. Architecture is one such example that allows for comparison.
Personally, I have always found it to be very intriguing how the look and feel of the city is always evolving. After some reflection, I realized it was the architecture that sparked nostalgia in me. I decided to focus on the old Bangalore architecture for my inspiration and moodboard. I wandered through the streets of Bangalore collecting pictures for my moodboard. My repository included patterns that adorned the arches of mosques, the grand façade of the Vidhana Souda, old residential buildings as well as the vivid temples tucked away into the small gulleys surrounding Avenue Road. I saw great scope for print application from the patterns I documented.
I sifted through all the material and photographs that I had collected, and set to work on the mood boards. As I continued to refine the boards, the ones that I did using pictures of mosques began to stand out from the rest. To have a better understanding about Islamic architecture, I read about it in general- the significance of symbols and the role geometry, patterns, intricacy, light and floral motifs play in Islamic architecture. Keeping that in mind, I arrived at my final moodboard. The color palette of the moodboard consists of a variety of colors. I have used both subdued as well as harmonious tones and shades.

No comments:

Post a Comment