Friday, November 12, 2010

Once Upon a Time......




I began ideating with the theme Folk Tales. Initially I tried to associate words relating to the overall aspects of folk tales. I decided not to focus on a single folk tale in particular, but instead focus on the characteristics and elements of a folk tale. Every folk tale is but a story and usually begins with the phrase, “Once upon a time”. I began focusing on creating a mood board which shows the basic elements of a story.

Folk Tales are legends or myths which are Timeless. They do not really refer to any particular period of time. The whole concept of Time then began to intrigue me. Folk Tales have a somewhat immortal aspect to them while time on the other hand has a very mortal aspect ofchange to it.

I then began to focus on the word “change” depicting that time changes everything. Initially I chose pictures that show traces of memories; of objects wilting away. Even though these objects are no longer new and youthful as they once used to be, they have traces of time embedded in them and these traces, marks or scratches tell their stories.




Through this inspiration board I am trying to draw a parallel with the objects that is the slide, the swing with the wilting leaf. The leaf even though it still retains its colour is old and withering away. It shows that the leaf has changed over time and even though it still has its colour it is no more as it used to be. Just like how the swing and the slide still exist but are now rusted and no more used by children. And the people in picture depicts that the children have grown up.



My previous mood board was more of a story board and hence difficult to derive patterns from. I then began zooming into images to get patterns of time. I looked at wilted leaves,rustedobjects and paint peels.

Even though the theme of changing time calls for a very subtle colour palette, I decided to use vibrant colours to bring out the colourful and decorative aspect of a folk tale.


SKETCHES FOR CUSHION




















SKETCHES FOR STOLES











PACKAGING


No comments:

Post a Comment