Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Eidos























The theme that I chose to work with for my print project is Kaleidoscope and Glass. I chose to take elements and characteristics of both in my mood board. Since Kaleidoscopes already have a very defined pattern that is set in its way, I decided to look at the characteristics of it rather than include literal kaleidoscopic patterns. I drew inspiration from the “effect” and feel a kaleidoscope has. From my mind mapping stage, I concentrated on words like movement, psychedelic, sharpness, layering and overlapping.

All these words played a huge role for me in making my final mood board. I started to look at each word and relate visuals to it, which then helped me to subtract and add elements to create the final one. I also had to make sure that the final with its various attributes has a flow and one image does not look drastically different but a part of the whole. To create this feel, I collected images and also created my own textures in relation to kaleidoscopes. I also concentrated on glass as my focus and used the layering and transparency in my mood board. Words like shattered or sharpness that are hidden yet important features of any piece of glass were also taken into consideration.

Working with different colored glasses and layering them to create movement of a kaleidoscope and rigidity of glass was also my focus. I created patterns and textures that would speak of kaleidoscope not very literally. My colors derived are a range of blues, purples, and grays accompanied with a warm color palatte that has been derived by observing the obvious colors and by zooming in as well. I have derived my color palette also by layering different colors to achieve new shades and tones.

No comments:

Post a Comment